Followers

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ashes to ashes—Dust to dust.

Tick, tick the voice of time speaks.

We once stood on this soil
our sacred ground,
planted homes breathing the echoes of
laughing children, mothers, fathers.

We stood on this soil, our sacred ground.

Time warps, as
tears flow from our blinking eyes,
observing bleeding rivers and stained drowned towns,
camouflaged by green darkness, creeping,
rampaging destruction filters in;
birthing the essence of death.

Our beloved home claimed by
foul evil creatures dancing on fresh
burning red soil
leaving mangled corpses, food for the scavengers.
Safety does not always find refuge in numbers.

Weeping, asking,

What happens to these lost spirits
plagued by war, power raped
over money, land, greed, or hate,
are they trapped inside dimensions unseen?
Forced to replay tragedies, the living can’t see,
an unseen hell?
Do they wander through their land searching for why?

Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust

What becomes of the lost spirits,
The innocent ones?

16 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wow. that went off in my hands ike a grenade...slow to build then BOOM! i think i see them when they wander and sometimes i wonder if i look the same...

steveroni said...

Brilliant.

Time wounds all healings...

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Hopefully, the lost spirits are recalled, redeemed and resuscitated in poems like this one, Jessie.

g-man said...

Loved this!!!
Changed the Zebra Header I see...
Have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

anthonynorth said...

This was excellent. nicely done.

Mike said...

I was thinking about the American Indian while I read. Was that what you were thinking?

Dulçe ♥ said...

Sad calling out for answers...
And after all it becomes ash and dust... no matter the fights.

You've written a beautifuland powerful piece here my dear Jessie!

Larry said...

Wow I like your header very niceI always look forward to reading you weekly I have to admit I've missed a frew times but it was due to illness very nice Jessie

Nessa said...

Very good poem and a very good question, too.

Kira Stann said...

Very powerful, sad, yet blatant. This is an awesome poem!

Ruth said...

Yes, I agree with Lorenzo, your poem is a prayer.

TALON said...

Jessie, powerful and true. And hearbreaking in its honesty.

Unknown said...

You truly amaze me with each and every post, this one so completely gets so much of life...I wonder what the hell happens too J...I wonder it all the time!

much love
g
xoxox

dustus said...

Firstly, that is a very cool header image! Your poem is so powerful in pointing out evil and injustice. Leaves a lasting impression. Thanks

Brian Miller said...

hey there...passing through and though ti would say hi...smiles.

Tina said...

Powerful and potent. Gripping and real. I'm impressed.