Kallie and Jeff had been childhood sweethearts since they were five; and even though they had dated other people in high school and while Kallie was in college—they knew they were destined to be together. It’s something the heart just knows. It was a beautiful June 1st dusk; after the tides had mated with the camel sand, Kallie and Jeff were married.
Kallie graduated with her BA in English and was immediately offered a teaching position to kids less fortunate than her and jumped at the opportunity. The pay was lousy, but monetary rewards are not always the ones that help you sleep at night; Jeff had enlisted in the Air Force and was called to duty in Iraq. They were lucky though in one aspect, they did enjoy a honeymoon in Hawaii before they came home and Jeff began his active duty.
On their one-year anniversary, Jeff surprised Kallie with a phone call.
“Jeff honey, I miss you so much. I keep thinking back on our honeymoon. The early morning swim in the pool. The skinny dipping in the ocean.”
“Kallie, you know this line may be secure, but it’s not private.”
“I know,” she said chuckling, “I just miss and need you so much. Besides, I enjoy taunting and teasing you.”
“Don’t I know it!” Jeff responded laughing.
Suddenly sirens erupted in the background,
“Kall hun, I’ve got to go now. Remember I’ll always love you and your playful attitude. Here’s a kiss.”
“Be careful love, I miss and need you more than you’ll ever know.”
All that remained was a dial tone.
Tears flowed down Kallie’s face. She didn’t have a good feeling about this. Cradling the phone tight against her chest, she crumbled down on the bed, crying, and remembering the last time they made love.
Soft breezes were blowing as the white sheers moved to the tunes of the island. The soft, flow of the ocean as it flowed, his hands, strong, tender; knowledgeable. She breathed in the sensation of his lips caressing her, and the gentle sound of his voice whispering his own special blend of poetry. Her body moved with his. The breezes, ocean, bodies, all entangled into a magical and passionate affair, Kallie’s loneliness was forgotten and Jeff was inside her mind, body, and soul. They were once again united.
Deeply sighing, she smiled. Sleeping better than she had for the past year and a-half.
Kallie awoke to the sound of the rain falling on the windows—all traces of Hawaii gone. She reached over for Jeff, and discovered he wasn’t there. Silently she waited for the sound of the shower, the smell of fresh brewed coffee, but there was nothing.
“Jeff? Jeff hon? Where are you? I had the most fabulous time last night, well, as usual,” as she chuckled. “Jeff?”
Kallie stopped for a moment, then went to Jeff’s closet and noticed all of his clothes were gone. Panicking she started thinking back to the previous day and remembered the phone conversation. She felt like someone punched her in the stomach as she remembered he was in Iraq, flying an airplane, in the war zone. Sliding down the wall, the tears fell once more as she asked God, “Why? We don’t belong there. Why?”
This concludes tomorrow.
Thank you Otin for providing me with this idea. I hope it lives up to your expectations.
7 comments:
very, very moving... i'm looking forward to the conclusion
oh, and i love the look!!!
nice. otin gave me the 411 on this the other day...glad to see you took him up on it...nicely played...cant wait to see how you end it...
Great story... I look forward to the end, which I really hope is a good and happy one!
;)
i love this. and i look forward to reading the rest.
you know, it's as though i could see the characters.
: )
I had no expectation except to say that this is beautifully written so far!
You captured the feelings of love and longing very well. Can't wait to read the end. And I want to say thanks so much for stopping by at Life is Good and for your compliment.
Post a Comment