Followers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Gliding Into Heaven's Gate

Anticipation fueled me as I sat on the white boat filled with people chattering among themselves. Many were giddy with excitement, while others were hesitant over the unknown. For me however, I once had dreams of being a marine biologist. This excursion was like giving me the world.

“Okay everyone, listen up. As we get off the boat, make sure you shuffle your feet when you walk. This is for your protection as well as the stingrays. You want to make sure not to step on the ray, especially their tail. The rays know you are here to feed them, so don’t be alarmed if they swim up to you, brush against you. When you feed them, it will feel like a vacuum cleaner against your hand. Before we leave the area, I will show you how to hold one.”

In the beginning there was chaos. People forgetting to drag their feet along the sandy ground, instead they would walk quickly or dart from side to side inside the waist-high, clear turquoise water. Some of the younger children were screaming and crying. Even some of the adults would only stay in the water for a matter of minutes. Not me though.

It was getting close to time to leave and the guide had already been with several people showing them how to hold the ray. I knew the only way I was going to get my chance was to force myself into the circle and just reach out. By doing so, my chance came.

“Hold your hand under each wing. Don’t move, relax, and keep his wings just barely under the water; don’t try to lift him out. Okay, now slide your hands under my hands, I’m going to let go and you will be holding him.”


It was at that moment I became one with the ray. My heart soared to new heights. I was on this unbelievable, high. For me during those moments, nothing else existed but me and the lightness of this awesome creature who was probably 24-28” spanning wing to wing. I had glided into heaven's gates. The guide asked me quietly, have you ever done this before? When I answered, “No,” he said, “You’re a natural.”

I had watched as others attempted to hold the ray; however, it never lasted more than a couple of seconds. Either excitement or fear, like an invisible cloak enclosed their bodies, and the ray sensed their feelings of awkwardness, and flapped its wings seeking freedom. Yet, when my turn came, the ray was satisfied, peaceful. We had connected and become one with the water and the universe of life.

Peaceful serenity faded away when the guide said, “Okay. It’s getting late; we’re going to have to go. Slowly let your hands move down toward the sand.” I didn’t want to let go. I stood still, ignoring him for as long as I could. I didn’t want to leave my sanctuary; however…

This is a rough draft from a memory seven years ago.

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh wow. what a wicked cool memory...we played with the rays on our cruise...so cool, the conection you had...

Wait. What? said...

A very visual memory written well.

Dulçe ♥ said...

Beautiful story, worth remembering and sharing with us.
Thanks for writing so well.

(love your new template- miss the frog, but love the fish down there...)

;)

Mike said...

Sometimes you just get caught up in the moment, whatever that may be. There are always those times in life that you wish that you could freeze!

Nice new layout!!

RLM Cooper said...

This sounds like a truly awesome experience. Enjoyed reading about it very much.

Dreamers... said...

ur lucky as u were given chance to feel God. It could be that whatever u do or planning to do, he will always be there for u to guide u...its like "Wind beneath ur wings..."=)

LarryG said...

sweet to be one with the nature of things like this...
lovely doings Jessie...

Ariel said...

This must have been an awesome experience!!! Hope you get more opportunities like this Jessie.