A.C.T.
Acknowledge Co-Existence Together
Lighting flashes bright yellow in the skies
not from the hands of God but the hands of man.
We have forgotten the yellow daises that once
rose in conquest on green grassy knolls,
now, we see bodies of those who have gone to war.
Contained and planted in the cold, dark earth,
we bury our sons, daughters, mothers, and fathers.
Color, race, sex, and creed buried with them,
they have always been insignificant dividers.
All that remains is heartbreak, knowing
we’ll never hear their voices,
Share their smiles,
Comfort their tears.
Did they die for freedoms for all, or freedom for a few?
Love for their county,
for the country that provided for them in return?
Provided them with jobs, healthcare, and equality?
Was love for their country placed above love for their family?
Or is it reconciled in their minds, this deed,
that their country will provide for those left behind?
I am brown, yellow, white, black.
Standing before you with tears shed by all.
I am rich, I am poor,
I have loved, and I have lost my body, but not my soul,
My words live in and through others.
Eloquently John Steinbeck wrote,
“A fella ain't got a soul of his own, but on'y a piece of a big one...”
The History Channel aired a special last night, "The People Speak."
This post is dedicated to every human who has lost someone in any war.
Sometimes our anger and thirst for revenge takes over out conscience; we forget that each of us are connected through the vein of humanity. Our only differences are those we create ourselves.
7 comments:
Interesting post Jessie,
Lots of ruminations come from this one.
WoW My friend this gives a view of life. Strong words.
Thank you!
:)s
Jessie...This was an AWESOME post!
great post...and a great wake up call to all those who live in the freedoms that were paid for by others...
Every man that died in Iraq died for a useless cause. I mourn those people and view them as heroes that gave all for a failed policy. I am not a Democrat or a Republican, I just hate stupidity by our leaders.
thank you. a good reminder. and he's so right, once they are gone and buried, does it matter what their race, creed or color. all that matters is what they meant to us, to their country. why can't we show the same respect to the living...
Larry G, Dulce, g-man, Brian, Otin, and Shadow -- thank you so much for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece. I usually shy away from making political statements, but sometimes powerful words or images just move me there.
Post a Comment