I consider myself a feminist. Not a die-hard, because I do enjoy being treated with courtesy. Now, with that said, my idea of courtesy, is the treatment toward others as equals, no matter what the circumstances. I will hold a door open for a man, woman, or a child, and I do appreciate it when someone holds the door open for me and lets me walk in front of them. I think that’s how you can tell a "real" man from one that lives in a MAN’s skin. I know that sounds goofy, so I’ll clarify my definition. A "real" man doesn’t want a woman who will take over the mothering role in their life. A "real" man treats everyone with the same amount of respect, they listen, they are engaged in the conversation, they challenge – they don’t dictate their ideas and opinions or over-ride your ideas, thoughts, and opinions. A "real" man will do laundry, cook when you’re tired or just because, clean the kitchen, help with the babies and kids as they grow older – without being asked, or told. So the simple action of opening a door for someone, is not a sign of you need my help, but rather, I want to do this. Okay, so where is this leading?
I did not watch very much of the Palin – Biden debate last night, since I was in class. I really haven’t paid very much attention to either of the VP’s simply because my mind is already made up, and has been for a very long time. I would love to see a woman as President, yet I know before that will happen, we will first have a woman as vice-president. Hillary Clinton is a strong woman. She’s intelligent, ambitious, and could hold her own with any chauvinistic leader from any country; however, she lost my support slowly as she moved her way along the campaign race.
Our country is in such disarray; the American people need someone who is poised and articulate, confidant, and young in their way of thinking. I think an Obama-Clinton ticket would have been the perfect choice . . . before Hillary lost my respect. I feel in my heart that for Hillary, it’s all about the power, she wanted to be the first woman President.
I’m going to step back to the VP debate last night. I saw about the last 15-30 minutes. Enough to see that there was something missing from Palin. I had read several different blogs about the real Sarah Palin, and how she is ruthless – in every form of the word. I had seen clips of some of her interviews where her answers were vague and nonsensical. Yet, I kept an open mind. I watched her as she stood there in her beautiful tailored suit, however something seemed off. Then it hit me. Ms. Palin was not standing up straight. Her shoulders were rounded. And there is something in her voice that just doesn’t come across with leadership. Later, one of the reporters found the descriptive words that had eluded me. Ms. Palin has a cartoon style voice, with a folksy vocabulary. Okay. Some people may say, "But that’s who she is. That’s what makes her one of us." And here, I strongly disagree. McCain is no spring chicken, and the possibility that he lives another four years is a big gamble. This is a gamble I am not willing to take. There isn’t a world leader on this earth who will treat Palin with respect. World leaders do not care about how a "real person" is – they only care about the situation between their government and the American government. When I stop and think who can or would take a cartoon-voiced, folksy speaker seriously? My answer is nobody. I can’t even do that. No matter how much I would love to see a woman in the VP or President chair. And she wants to extend the powers of the VP? Lol
Ms. Palin read through her debate. She looked like a college girl who has memorized her commencement speech and was reciting it to her fellow classmates. The McCain team coached her well . . . to an extent. Part of giving a speech (memorized or not) is being able to deliver the speech genuinely and with emotion. In my opinion, she failed on both accounts, and to say that I was taken back when she made the comment about her family, explaining how she knew how hard it is for American families. It flowed like a robotic message. Unlike Biden who showed his emotion, and you knew that he truly understood, felt, and believed his comments.
I’m just going to add one more comment. I have learned to hate the word "Maverick." McCain may have been a "Maverick" at one time, but he isn’t one now. He’s a thick-headed, shoot ‘em type of guy, who believes war is the answer to everything. A "Maverick" by my terms is someone who goes against the establishment, and listens with an open mind and watches with accurate vision and decides to take the high road – which isn’t always war.
I have no doubt that you’ve figured out by now that I’m an Obama – Biden woman voter, in an area where I’m sure I’m in the minority. I’m tired of war and thick-headed shoot-em up gun slingers (yes, and I’m pro-NRA). I believe in individualities, which means I’m pro-choice. It’s time that we had some "real" people in the President and Vice-President chairs, and not people who have grown up "within" the establishment. I’m a feminist who isn’t voting for a woman. I’m a feminist who is voting for "realism."
2 comments:
OMG this is a brilliant post that really captured how I have felt, like you if I hear the word "Maverick" again I will have to glare at the person who says it. Her "folksy" charm to me seemed disingenuous and strained, and thank you for putting into such eloquent words about this whole voting season.
Love,
G
I'll have to agree. To say that someone who slouches, speaks without clarity, emotion, and drive, winks at the audience, and evades issues (by hiding behind a made-up "maverick" persona) is an everyday, common person that we can al relate to--is like spitting in each and every one of our faces.
Post a Comment